Friday, July 14, 2017

What I Learned From Captain Jack Sparrow

My son really wanted me to see the latest “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie with him. I hadn’t watched any of the prior four Pirates movies so my son had me watch the first Pirates movie on Netflix so I would have at least a basic understanding of the characters and plot. Even having done so, I had some gaps in my understanding when I went to watch the fifth movie installation. 

But, one thing was clear: Captain Jack Sparrow (played by Johnny Depp) was still the same and up to his old antics. I’m not sure why but this time I saw Captain Jack Sparrow in a whole new light. I saw him more for his virtues than his vices. This is what I learned from Captain Jack Sparrow as I watched his character on the big screen:

I’m not sure how much of his character was from the rum or hot Caribbean sun but I liked his easy going, go with the flow attitude. He never seemed to worry…period, whether he was about to be hanged or have his head cut off with a guillotine. Captain Jack Sparrow just went his gut instinct, trusting that things would work out somehow. Doesn’t life seem to work itself out most of the time? How much of our time is spent worrying about things we cannot change or may never happen?

Captain Jack Sparrow was all about living in the moment, enjoying himself, finding humor in every situation and never second guessing himself. He doesn’t take himself or life too seriously. I’m sure we all have known people who took life a little too seriously.

Captain Jack Sparrow seemed happy to be himself, quirks and all. He also didn’t seem to be particularly concerned about what others thought of him. He didn’t worry about this and he wasn’t a people pleaser. He was just true to himself.

The character of Captain Jack Sparrow was extremely likeable. He made lots of mistakes but people couldn’t seem to stay mad at him for very long, except for some questionable women and cursed pirates.



Another aspect of Captain Jack Sparrow’s character that I liked was his persistence. Even when he fails, he picks himself back up and tries again. The Captain doesn’t seem to dwell on the past and kick himself for errors. As mentioned, he also doesn’t worry about the future. He simply lives in the moment, taking life as it comes. I think there is a lot to say for that. Many people spend a lifetime trying to accomplish living in the moment and truly enjoying life.

It’s fun to watch Captain Jack Sparrow in action. He is so resourceful and stumbles into solutions by accident or serendipity. He is spontaneous, willing to take on new adventures in a heartbeat.

There are those who may say he was a drunk and womanizer but he was the best Pirate around and his crew or friends were deeply devoted to him…well, most of the time.

I got to thinking about the significance of his last name, Sparrow. Now, I love little birds, sparrows. And this is the reason why. God cares for little birds in all their needs. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus teaches us not to worry in Matthew Chapter 6. About the birds, Jesus said, “Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns yet your Heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?”

I also love to watch sparrows because they don’t seem to worry about where their next meal is coming from, if their housing situation will work out, etc. They are just happy and they chirp and sing….or hum like a pirate.


Now my purpose of writing isn’t to glorify Pirates…but perhaps we all need a little of the spirit of Captain Jack Sparrow. Ahoy, matey!