Friday, July 14, 2017

Are You a Worry Wart? I was!

I needed to take my son to Salt Lake Community College for placement testing. In the past, I would’ve worried and dreaded everything in advance. How to get there? How to find the building on campus? How to find parking? How to find the room? What would I talk with my son about in the car? Would the drive be awkward?

That’s a lot of questions and worries. But that’s not what I did today. I trusted God and the Universe. I gave thanks. Mentally, I let go. I didn’t live in regret of the past nor live in dread of the future. I believed that things would eventually work out. And, if they didn’t, I would still be okay. I mean, the birds are still singing. God takes care of them…so why not me?!

I PLACED NO EXPECTATIONS ON THE FUTURE. This is different than placing hope in the future. I simply lived my life in the moment.

If you don’t have expectations or rather fixations of the future, then you won’t be disappointed and your brain won’t get stuck. You won’t let your brain down. Then your brain won’t throw a tantrum, giving you emotional distress. Let go of the future so you can live in the present.



While waiting for my son to complete his college testing, I ate lunch across the street at A&W. Normally, I would’ve worried about crossing a busy street (Redwood Rd).  But I decided to slow down my thoughts and trust. As I approached the busy road, all was clear and I easily crossed it.

Why do we make life more difficult than it needs to be? If I had worried in advance about crossing the busy street, it would’ve wasted mental energy and left me feeling distressed, no matter the outcome. I would’ve stressed myself out. How many of us do this? I think far too many of us. I know I sure did.

There was a time near the beginning of my anxiety that I couldn’t stand to be alone or rather be alone with my thoughts. I had to be constantly busy to avoid my thoughts. I even asked my mother-in-law to help me, which she graciously did, although she didn’t understand what I was going through. My mother-in-law would have me come over a couple times a week to help her tie quilts. I had no interest in these activities. I just needed my brain and time occupied and to not feel alone; because feeling alone is scary.

Back then, if I didn’t have all my time planned out for the day, I would panic mentally. I couldn’t make decisions in the moment. My brain was so panicky that I couldn’t even plan what to have for dinner. Therapists would just suggest helps for meal planning but that wasn’t the problem. They didn’t get anxiety or what I refer to as brain attacks.

Some people have heart attacks. I had brain attacks. My brain would—in essence—malfunction. My brain would freeze up in panic and it was not a pleasant feeling. It was completely unnerving and unsettling. A brain attack is similar to trying to drive a manual stick shift car on a busy highway while stuck in a gear. My brain gets stuck in ruts and mental gears.



I have monitored my mental status and progress over the years by how well I think when I don’t have to think and I’m alone with my thoughts. A few examples include what do you think about when you’re taking a shower, doing meditation or watching a movie in the movie theater.

Of course, some worries and extraneous thoughts will naturally surface. It's usually fairly easy to acknowledge a thought and then return to stillness. I find the best indicator of my mental wellness is my back thoughts while I’m watching a movie in a dark theater. Am I worried about one or more items? Am I preoccupied? Can I focus on the movie or am I habitually drawn to my back thoughts?

Usually, I am anxious, worried and preoccupied behind the scenes while watching a movie. Recently, I watched “Wonder Woman” on a date. I don’t recall feeling worried or having troublesome thoughts percolate up to the surface of my awake mind.

Also, now I feel comfortable to be alone with my thoughts. When I had time to kill, I would usually read a book. Reading books is great and many things can be learned from them. But now, I just contemplate and meditate. I am still. And that’s a very good place to be.

I have reduced stress in my life right now. I’m not working or going to school. I'm just with my kids this summer. I’m sure that’s partially the reason for my serene stillness. But my hope is that I can keep some of the serenity I have now when stress is reintroduced into my life. I plan to start working again soon. I’m also starting a Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling later this summer.


I have spent years attempting to retrain my brain. I think training a brain is harder than training a puppy. It hasn’t been easy but I’ve come a long way from my early days of needing my thoughts occupied every moment. I’m sure there will be setbacks and ups and downs. I do have bipolar disorder so that is bound to happen. But I never thought I’d be mentally well after 14 years of being mentally ill. Is it possible? Am I dreaming? If so, please don’t burst my bubble.