Saturday, April 21, 2012

Repenting for Shoes


I felt guilty from the start. I had a bad feeling. Yet I wanted them. I really wanted them.

I had seen them before. Pleasing to the eye. A bit worldly. Aah, what was I fooling myself? They were glitzy. Or, maybe I was fooling myself.

I went to my local Payless shoe store to buy needed shoes for my youngest child. But a pair of purple glittery sandals caught my eye. I didn’t need them but they wouldn’t leave my mind. Times were tight and I should be watching my spending. They were very tempting. I thought I might go back and try them on. I felt bad about this. Really bad, like I was making a wrong choice.

My desire overruled the warning feeling I felt. Later that day, I drove back to the shoe store although I still felt bad. I couldn’t resist those glitzy purple sandals. I made my choice and drove home with the purple sandals and another pair of shoes since it was BOGO (buy one get one half off).


http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=download&id=1147312

I tried on the sandals at home. They looked beautiful on my feet but they seemed tighter than in the store. I began to think the purple sandals were too tight even for fashion’s sake. Alas, I decided to return them to the store. My bad feeling was right. I felt guilty for my tempted choice. These shoes weren’t right for me and had cost money and time. The shoe bag with the two boxes seemed heavy as I carried it into the store. I waited for the clerk to process my refund and take my pride and vanity off my hands. I walked out of the store lighter without the shoe boxes and richer with the refund money and the lessons learned.

I wondered if repentance was a little like that. We see something, lust after it, feel tempted by it. We feel we shouldn’t act on it, yet succumb and feel guilty. To cleanse our conscience, we rid ourselves of what makes us guilty and weighs us down. We exchange our heavy burden of sin to the Savior and in exchange we feel cleansed and lighter which is worth more than the money received for a refund.

I was thankful to learn a lesson that day with shoes rather than something more serious. God is merciful. I had bought a beautiful pair of turquoise sandals a few days ago, anyway.