Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Fun of Journals

Today began with a game of tag. My youngest daughter has beautiful long blonde wavy hair like Rapunzel and I pretended to want it. “Don’t touch my hair,” my daughter sang in a sing-song voice. We played this game of tag off and on throughout the day. Isn’t it fun to have fun?

Then I was productive, going through the clothes in her room. Finally, we needed to pick up the books off the floor and put them in her bookshelf. I got a timer and off she went stacking books, so proud of herself. (I wish I gave myself more credit for the things I do.)

Then we went into my room and she suggested we have a fashion show. I waited while she changed in my closet.  Out she came with a brown faux fur vest and enormous fur-lined black boots. My daughter announced the fashion show was beginning. Then she began to sing how she was a brown bear who liked to eat berries and honey and roar. Her roar was very convincing. Then she changed into a gray fox and sang another song, complete with the cutest howl “Aa-Ooh.” I clapped for a long time.

Then my daughter announced that it was my turn to model in the fashion show. I changed into a different brown faux fur vest. She made sure I announced the fashion show properly…and that I sing. Like a kid, I was spontaneous and made up a song. First I was a bear. My daughter said my roar scared her. Next instead of a fox, I decided to be a gray wolf. She asked me to change again.

I thought I’d change into a glam girl, complete with glitter and sequins. My daughter joined me in the changing room and picked out a Mickey Mouse shirt with glitter, a turquoise glitter scarf and a hat with silver sequins. I suggested I turn on some dance music and she agreed. Then we danced for several songs. My daughter looked like a break dancer.

After lunch, we went to play at a park. I watched her make instant friends with all the kids there. They came up with a game where one person was the storekeeper inside the rock climbing wall and gave dirt through the holes to the kids outside. The kids outside then deposited the dirt on a dirt pyramid structure. Dirt was everywhere yet the kids made it a prized commodity.. (I don’t know if I could have come up with such a unique game.)

http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=download&id=616678 
                                                                                                           
When we got home from the park, I prompted my daughter to wash her hands and face. She asked me to help her. While I was washing her face, I put my fingers under her top lip and made funny faces. We laughed and laughed. Then she wanted to do the same for me. I must have more flexible lips because I looked like “Mr. Ed” braying. We laughed for the longest time. (I highly recommend this activity.)

Then it was time for my daughter to practice writing her name. She kept asking to write more and more. Mistakes didn’t phase her. She just kept trying. (I wish I was more like that.)

The evening weather was pleasant outside so my two daughters went in our front yard. My oldest daughter wanted to play croquet/putt-putt. My youngest daughter wanted to play softball so they combined the two. Recently my youngest daughter did well at a bean bag toss for Easter. Well, tonight she did well hitting the ball. (Does anyone remember the excitement of finding out a talent?)

I’m so glad I wrote down these small events. When I went back to my journal, I was surprised at what I had forgotten even a couple days later. I’ve been keeping a regular journal since 1986 but it’s never too late to begin. Even writing down one trip or even one memorable day can make a difference. My kids love to hear me read about themselves in my journals. Not only did I remember that fun day, I gained what adults can learn from children. Of the day above, I wrote “It was a great day! I’m very happy to be a Mom.”