Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I was in a Pickle

I was in a pickle, a serious pickle. My husband lost his job, along with his insurance benefits, over six months ago. Just before he lost his job, I got mail order for my medications which lasted three months. Two of my mood stabilizers for bipolar disorder are costly without insurance. Abilify is $800/month and Seroquel is $1000/month. I’ve been trying to figure out how not to pay the full price as I am unable. I checked out the assistance programs offered by the pharmaceutical companies themselves. I found out I didn’t qualify. I asked my two doctors for samples to get by. They had some samples of Abilify but none of Seroquel. I later discovered that Seroquel was supposed to come out in generic form sometime this year so the samples had stopped.

In going through my meds, I found some expired Seroquel XR (the extended version) samples. I thought I’d try them to extend out my supply. Bad idea. After trying the expired Seroquel XR for a couple days, I became very suicidal. I kept praying for a miracle. Then my husband came across a Canadian pharmacy that had the generic version of Seroquel for a great price. The downside was they didn’t know how long it would take for the shipment to go through customs. It could be two weeks to one month or more. And I only had two weeks of Seroquel left. And that was after decreasing my Seroquel by 1/3 to extend my supply. This could be a crazy idea as I could quickly shift into mania, my worst nightmare.


http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2998


Well, I seem to be holding steady but wondering what to do when my supply is gone. I have felt like I am in captivity waiting to be delivered. I had a dream of receiving my Seroquel shipment in the mail but I didn’t recall when that would be. I told God that if He provided a miracle, I would give Him credit and write it in my blog. Last night, I looked at my email briefly on my phone. I noticed an email from the founder of my bipolar support group but it had no subject. I almost didn’t open it. But I'm glad I did. 

These were the contents:
“Good news. For those who are on Seroquel. Regular Seroquel , NOT the XR,  is now available at WalMart Pharmacies in generic form. BIG SAVINGS.
 Just thought you might want to know.”

I screamed, jumped up and down and began to cry. In the nick of time, I had been delivered. Of all the weeks for Seroquel to be released in generic form, it was released when I needed it most. Sometimes, I wonder why God does that. He waits until the last possible moment and then helps us. I think He likes a little drama, a drumroll, to test our faith before He provides a miracle, and to make the story of our life interesting.

As I waited to be delivered from my captivity, I thought about the Savior of the world also coming to deliver us from captivity, from sin and death. As Easter Sunday approaches, this promise is for you: “Then they cried unto the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses” (Psalms 107:6.) Happy Easter!

P.S. Later today...You won't believe it. I ran an errand today and came back home to see a small package sitting on my table. With great anticipation, I opened it and my generic Seroquel from Canada was inside. I don't have to go without Seroquel or pay for expensive US generic Seroquel. God is sooo good. I'm alternating between crying and jumping for joy! God is real and miracles still exist. God loves and helps me and I know God wants to do the same for you.