Friday, November 4, 2011

If God Were a Chef

What if God were a chef and you were the main course? I’m not talking about cannibalism-that makes me laugh. Let’s say what you have to offer to the Universe, God put together as a spiritual meal.  Would you be a snack? Would you be fast food? Or, would you be a gourmet meal? If God could take a few fishes and loaves of bread and feed 5000 people, I’m pretty sure He can make more of us than we think we are. Sometimes I pray that God makes more of me than I think I am, a meager sardine and crostini. I think God as a chef can make anything out of our ingredients, even trout ice cream, like on "The Iron Chef."  Every meal reigns supreme and is a culinary masterpiece, as unique as each of us.


I believe at sometime in our earlier existence, we put an “order” up for our lives, like an order in a restaurant. But we didn't order food.  This order consisted of the longings of our very soul, what we wanted to learn, and who we wanted to become. Now, we have the raw ingredients, but God has the tools to take our raw ingredients and turn them into a gourmet meal, fit for a king. Along the way, things might get uncomfortable, with the heat of the stove and all, and being diced into pieces. It’s hard to understand from the viewpoint of a meal in motion why we have to go through such hardship. And sometimes, the meal takes much longer to prepare than we ever imagined. We might begin to question our worth and even our destiny.
But I am here to tell you that God knows what He is doing. He knows His way around a spiritual kitchen. He knows the way around our souls. So, if the heat is on in your life and you feel like you’re being diced to pieces, don’t fret. A gourmet meal is in the works.  Order up!