Friday, November 11, 2011

Gratitude is the Key

Gratitude is the key to unlock our happiness, to be thankful for everything in our lives, both the good and the bad.

Recently, I heard this quote on gratitude that got me thinking:
“What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for today?” Would we have much left?




I once heard a thoughtful poem that had a big impact on me to be thankful for the things we usually complain about. Here it is:

”Be Thankful For…

The mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

The taxes I pay because it means that I’m employed.

The clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.

My shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine.

A lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.

All the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.

The space I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.

My huge heating bill because it means I am warm.

The lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.

The piles of laundry and ironing because it means I have clothes to wear.

Weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.

The alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I’m alive.

Getting too much email bogs me down but at least I know I have friends who are thinking of me.”

-Unknown

Try being thankful today for something you normally would complain about. 

“Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.”
-Eckhart Tolle

“And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.
- D&C 78:19

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Gratitude is truly the key to happiness. The more grateful we are, the happier we will be. Be thankful for having a mess to clean up because it means you have good food and loved ones around.