Sunday, November 13, 2011

Not a Mascara Day

This past week my teenage son needed help on an assignment due the next day. I silently prayed to be blessed in helping him. Things went very smoothly. Afterward, I told my son about my prayer. He shrugged it off but I hoped it was sinking in on some level. Today, he asked me to watch a movie with him. Secret be told, I’d do almost anything to spend time with him or be near him.  Then he asked for some guidance with another school assignment due tomorrow. I provided great help and he forgot to thank me.
Later I had an “aha” moment as I caught my breath in my throat. I lay on my bed and tears flowed freely. I felt enveloped in the warmth of my bedroom light. “This” I thought “is how God feels.” Although God is always there, few have time for Him. Even fewer listen to His guidance. So, He delights in any time we’ll have Him around.  He loves us. He adores us. He takes pleasure in being around us. He’ll take any opportunity or invitation to be near us. When we ask for His help, usually at the last minute, He’s always there. Even when we forget to thank Him, He still loves us.


When I thought I’d cried myself out, I lay on my bed with a warm, contented smile on my face. Then the crying began again. It's a good thing I didn’t wear mascara today. (I do try to live by intuition.) It’s awesome to think that the God of the Universe wants to spend time with little ‘ol me. He’ll take any time He can get. He loves me! Imagine what our relationship with God could be like if we invited Him into our lives as in Revelation 3:20: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." We could hang out all the time. Oops, here come the tears...