Saturday, December 29, 2012

They Said I Couldn’t Do It




In 2005, I took a medication for bipolar disorder that caused extreme weight gain. I was no longer my size 6 and 135 pounds. I battled this for years and ended up taking another medication in 2009 also known for its weight gain. By 2010, at my 40th birthday, I was a size 18 and weighed 216 pounds. Most of my weight was in my stomach, making me look like I had a huge beer belly or like I was very pregnant. I was asked when my baby was due on a daily basis.

Since most of my weight was in my stomach, I put my hopes in having liposuction to rid myself of the weight. When I consulted with two surgeons, they both said I wasn’t a good candidate for liposuction as my weight wasn’t on top of my muscle but behind it. I was devastated. One of the doctors said I would have to do it the old fashioned way, through diet and exercise. However, he said he doubted I could do it as I’m bipolar and it’s hard for people with bipolar to stick to anything. At first, I was offended by his words yet I wondered at their truth.

I have tried many diets over the years, hoping each one would hold a magical spell. Seven months ago I joined a different gym, Four Pillar Fitness in Bountiful, Utah. It’s a small gym with personal trainers. I began lifting weights twice a week and started seeing some results. Then in October 2012, the gym had a weight loss challenge where every individual won. I lost 10 pounds in addition to the 30 I had lost over the years. A month ago, I went to Max Muscle (nationwide chain) in Bountiful, Utah and began working with a nutrition coach. I lost another 10 pounds. Now, I’ve lost 50 pounds from my heaviest weight.



Not due to the diets I’ve been on, but I’ve chosen to not have a treat since before Thanksgiving. That is very atypical for me as I usually have a small piece of chocolate every night. Success is more important to me than food. In fact, I asked Santa to bring me no treats but a pair of running shoes instead. I plan to lose another 15-30 pounds and take up running or maybe even a triathlon.

I hate to admit that at my core, I’ve felt like a loser most of my life with many of my health problems holding me back from succeeding at my goals. I do see some truth in that doctor’s advice that a person with bipolar has a hard time sticking to anything. I know that I go from idea to idea. However, now that I’ve tasted a small piece of success, I can’t get enough. I read on one of those inspirational posters, “Nothing begets success like success.” I always wondered at its truth. I’ve found success to be desirable and motivational to further success.

I feel like a different person inside, happier and competent, able to face life with confidence. When I feel like caving on my diet in the evenings, I look at a picture of myself at my heaviest, drink some Crystal Light to curb my sweet tooth, go to bed and have sweet dreams of weighing myself in the morning.

May you make your dreams become a reality in 2013. I know I will. Happy New Year!!