Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Do You Hold onto Happiness?

I was listening to one of my favorite bands, Press Play ( I wish it was in person) NY2LA CD, track 9 “Destiny” and came to a realization.  In life, how much effort do we put into holding onto things of value? We take steps and work to hold onto things of monetary value, such as homes, cars and investments. We take steps and work to hold onto things of relationship value, such as spouse, significant other, children and pets. We would be willing to fight if anyone tried to take any of these items away.  It just wouldn’t happen.

But what about items of intangible value, such as happiness, peace and joy? What do we do when any person, personal weakness, inadequacy, mental illness or life’s challenges threaten to take away our peace and our joy? Do we fight to hold onto these intangibles items of the greatest value or do we let them go without so much as a fight? I hear many people blame their unhappiness on life’s circumstances.

Listen to “Destiny” from my favorite band:
“In the beginning, God gave you a destiny. Don’t ever think that destiny cannot come to pass. It’s your life. Live it.”
“You know I gotta keep believing. I’m ready for today ‘cause nothing’s gonna get in my way.”
“No one can take my joy. No one can take my peace. No one can take my destiny. He’s my everything and you can’t take it from me.”
Talk about a declaration. I cried as I typed those lyrics because so much threatens my peace and joy at the moment. I should add “stress” to the list of items that threaten our happiness. I say we try to do what we can today. I say when our peace and joy is threatened, we do all we can to hold onto it. It seems like people let go of their peace and joy so easily instead of fighting to keep it.

Our happiness is not contingent on smooth sailing through life. Happiness is a decision, a state of mind, a choice.  Martha Washington said, "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances." For me, I’m choosing to follow my rock band in declaring that no one can take away my joy or peace. I’m not just giving it away. Please join me in holding onto your happiness, too.