Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Story of Your Life

Imagine this…your friend comes across the perfect story and suggests you should read it. Not only does the book have a perfect fairy tale ending but it is completely predictable. Whatever the hero or heroine wants, he or she gets. No pain, no disappointments, no twists and turns, no difficulties, and no frustration. Just smooth sailing and a life of ease. He or she doesn’t even have to count calories or exercise to have a perfect physique. Doesn’t that sound like the perfect life? If you could choose it, would you?



I might say “no,” but in the back of my mind, I’m saying “Yes. That’s the life for me.” I mean, I complain enough about my challenges and trials. It would seem that I would choose a life of ease over a life of difficulty. But what truly makes for a good story? Is it perfection and predictability? Good stories have an engaging plot and character development.  Even the fairy tales have seemingly insurmountable trials and surprising twists and turns. Fairytales and most stories have a happy ending. The heroine rises above her trials, adapts to the twists and turns and ends up a stronger person. Is your life like a good story? I’m afraid mine is. On my blog, I say that my life has been far more interesting than I ever wanted.

Since you are the hero or heroine of your story, what are you up to in your story right now? Are you making your story more interesting? Is your character developing and are you overcoming your obstacles? Recently, I was praying about a trial with which I am struggling, and I asked God if the trial could be taken away from me.  God gently chided, “Am I done with you yet?” I had to say “No.” I suppose my life is meant to be even more interesting. God isn’t done with my story. Don’t despair if your story is full of difficulty. It may be a wild ride, but may our stories all end with “Happily Ever After.”