Sunday, August 7, 2011

Don't Talk Back to Your Sensei

Note to those who suffer:  I don’t blame anyone for calling out or questioning why they are suffering for so long. I’ve been there. I hope this article gives a different perspective and hope.

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=879

There was a time I feared for my life and enrolled in a self-defense class. Actually, it was a street fighting class with Muay Thai boxing thrown in (muggers, watch out!) My sensei commanded the utmost respect. He was wise. I knew I could trust him. He was kind, yet firm. I kept forgetting to keep my hands up by my face in case of an attack. So, my sensei kindly whacked me on my head until I remembered. Now, I never forget to keep my hands up and protect my head. I proceeded to progress through the ranks but sometimes I thought I should progress faster. Why haven’t I gotten my second black stripe on my belt yet? Doesn’t he see I’m ready? I’ve learned all I need to move on. What is he thinking? Could we move a little faster? I couldn’t imagine going up to my wise, kind (and incredibly strong) sensei and telling him I was ready to move on and get my next belt. How presumptuous. He was the teacher. He knew far more than me. How disrespectful could I get?

Then, I had an epiphany. (Whatever you believe about God, a higher power, please insert next.) How many of us call out to God or the Universe and say, “Okay. I’ve learned what I needed to from this trial. I’m ready to move on. You can take away this trial now. I don’t know what you’re thinking. Could we move a little faster?” How many times do I question God without remembering that He is the teacher and I am the student and I have things to learn? Do I trust him and believe He knows best when I am truly ready to move on? Our spiritual sensei may have wisdom that we do not. This new perspective has helped me be more accepting of my life as I reach toward enlightenment. Just remember in spiritual matters as in life: 
Don’t Talk Back to Your Sensei!

When you accept what is, every moment is the best moment. 
That is enlightenment.   –Eckhart Tolle