Saturday, December 5, 2015

My Elf-like Spiritual Journey

I received a letter from one of my readers today that she felt a little spiritually empty and that reading my blog had helped. I realized that I haven’t shared much with my blog readership of my own battle with spiritual emptiness which is why I haven’t written much the past two years.

Two years ago I was going through a period of mania with my bipolar disorder (see the other tab “Bipolar Info & Tests” for a description on mania). One day I was a spiritually believing in my life-long religion and the next day I woke up and I didn’t believe any of it. Nor did I have any faith in God left. It was as if the spiritual rug was yanked out from under my feet. It was abrupt and shocking. I’ve spent the last two years trying to figure things out.

What I next describe will sound a bit like Elf going through the swirly twirly gumdrops and Lincoln Tunnel to get to New York City. I felt a spiritual void and began searching for meaning. First, I went to a Buddhist Temple for a while where I learned about impermanence and meditation. They didn’t believe in petitionary prayers or in God.
 
Next I went to the Center for Spiritual Living, a Science of Mind philosophy. I learned about the laws of attraction of bringing about what we desire. I liked their affirming prayers and trusting in the Universe. They also didn’t believe in God per se.

Then, a co-worker invited me to attend a Christian church with her. I attended a few non-denominational churches finding a small one near my home that I liked. Even though they tried to be accepting of other people, I still wondered about their stance on accepting everyone

Then I heard of Meetup app, a place for many different group meetings. I found myself slipping. The narrow foothold I had on faith was rapidly diminishing. I could feel that I was on my way to becoming agnostic which frightened me. How low could my doubts and questioning go? Well, I became agnostic and even attended a meeting once for atheists and agnostics. I don’t think I could ever become an atheist. As an agnostic, I haven’t ruled out God; I just don’t know.

 

In some ways, I am the same person. I still pray all the time; I read and ponder scriptures daily. I just don't feel much of anything. My spiritual journey reminds me of Mother Teresa’s journey. No one would ever doubt her spirituality. For the last 30-40 years of her life, she was in dark depression and didn’t feel close to God. Sometimes I wonder if I should try to be like Mother Teresa and go about doing good even without feeling close to God. I still attend my former faith as I'm able with my family. I've felt some desire to be aligned with them.

Is your spiritual gas tank low or on empty? You’re not in bad company with Mother Teresa. Do you need more spiritual octane? These days I fill up my spiritual tank with gratitude, noticing small miracles in my everyday life, and enjoying the present because life is a gift.  If there is a God, I know He’ll be understanding that I don’t feel the way I used to so I’ve been searching for truth in other areas. I'm more believing in God than not of late. Thanks for coming on this journey with me. May the love and lights of the holiday season help fill up your spiritual tank!