Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Goldilocks Syndrome

Once upon a time there were three bears... well, you know the story. Goldilocks, in every situation presented to her, wanted things to be “just right.” She wouldn’t participate unless it was “just right.” Do we not like ourselves if our bodies aren’t “just right?” Do we withhold love from our significant other if he or she doesn’t meet our needs “just right?” 

One thing I know about Goldilocks is that she really wished she were a brunette. I’ve heard many hairdressers say, “People always want what they don’t have.” Isn’t that human nature? I have brown hair along with my husband and two oldest children. My youngest, a toddler, has beautiful blonde hair, naturally curly. When her hair is brushed, it turns to sumptuous soft bouncy princess hair. She has the perfect hair. But even as a toddler, she wants to be a brunette, to have hair like the rest of her family.


http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2125

 Many years ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I had a wise hairdresser. I wasn’t very happy with myself, my health, or my life. She told me that the word “disease” is really “dis-ease” or not being at ease with yourself because you aren't "just right." I was blown away as what she said was true.  Do we set ourselves up for failure by expecting these “just right” experiences? Do we withhold being content because our family room couch is not “just right” or our job isn’t “just right?” What do we let keep us from contentment? Do we have the "Goldilocks Syndrome?"

On a family road trip (let me tell you, those are never “just right”), we stopped to buy milkshakes at an old-fashioned burger joint. It was hot outside so we went inside to drink our shakes. The decorations were quaint. My eyes happened to stop on a nondescript plaque, which read “The Secret to Having it All is Believing That You Do.” My jaw dropped. I was so excited to have found the meaning of the universe! I didn’t know why everyone else wasn’t as excited as I was.  Long ago Epicurus said, “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” Contentment is being happy with what you have. Do something daring. Decide to let your life be “just right” today.