Friday, September 23, 2011

Strong Enough

Recently, I was corresponding with a dear friend who has more trials than anyone I know. I texted her:  “You must be very strong to face all you face. You may have not beaten a lion yet but you’re in there fighting him. In time, you will beat him. Then others will see how strong you are.” I like the image of fighting an unseen lion, very real to the person fighting it while oblivious to others. What are your unseen lions?  I started to write down some of my unseen lions and I found it to be quite depressing. So, I’d rather focus on triumphing over our unseen lions or foes.
Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I came across a song called “Strong Enough” by Matthew West. He wrote an album based on people’s experiences. He related that a young lady had many trials. He told her that God doesn’t give us more than we’re strong enough to bear. Then, this young lady replied, “Then God must think I’m very strong.” I loved her attitude! The first line in the song, “Strong Enough” is “You must think I’m strong to give me what I’m going through.” Whatever you believe about God or the Universe, I believe that we are meant to succeed.  Sometimes it takes many years or decades to beat unseen lions but I know you can. Don’t give up hope.  You may not be super strong but you are “strong enough.”